The House With A Clock In Its Walls stars Jack Black, Cate Blanchett and Owen Vaccaro. The family picture was directed by Eli Roth. The Amblin Entertainment film opened in theaters on September 21, 2018.
A young boy is forced to move in with his Uncle when he suddenly and tragically loses his parents. He quickly learns that his Uncle possesses magical powers and that he lives in a house filled with secrets and wonder. The boy is then forced to help stop an evil magician that is determined to end the world.
- The House With A Clock features strong performances from Black, Blanchett and Vaccaro. Their work and chemistry is the highlight of the entire project.
- There are scary moments that will definitely thrill and excite young filmgoers.
- The film has a surprising amount of heart. You truly do care for all the characters and their struggles.
- The film is well made, but no moments or aspects of The House With Clock really stand out. It is an entertaining film, mostly because of the cast, but no story elements or scenes really leave an impression on you when you leave the theater.
- The film drags a little in the 2nd act. There is a large portion of the film that feels aimless and unfocused.
- There are times when Clock becomes a little too weird and offbeat for its own good. The tone and story often become too odd to take seriously.
The House With A Clock In Its Walls has a tremendous cast that really shines in the film. The story and plot sometimes becomes a little too convoluted and slow for the audience—especially for the young audience it aims for. A tighter script and a little less quirkiness could have helped the film a lot. But, it’s still a solid film that families should enjoy watching together.