War of the Worlds opened on this date in 2005. The sci-fi film was directed by Steven Spielberg and stars Tom Cruise.
Earth is invaded by alien life forms that are determined to wipe out the human race. A father, who has never been there for his two kids, must now try his best to keep his family alive.
- Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning both give great performances in War of the Worlds. Cruise is in top movie star form and Fanning gives one of the better kid performances in a Spielberg film.
- The film moves fast and keeps the tension up for almost its entire runtime.
- Spielberg delivers some of the best large-scale action scenes of his career.
- While Fanning gives one of the better kid performances in a Spielberg film, Justin Chatwin gives one of the most annoying. His role as Cruise’s oldest child is impossible to relate to.
- The film takes an odd turn in the third act that feels a little out of place. The scenes are very well done, but they feel like they are from a completely different movie.
War of the Worlds is light on story and plot. It’s a roller coaster ride…a very, very good roller coaster ride. Tom Cruise reminds you why he is one of the biggest movie stars of all time in the thriller. Steven Spielberg delivers some of the best action scenes of his career in War of the Worlds. It is one of the director’s finest pieces of blockbuster filmmaking.